At Rebalance Sports Medicine, our RMTs (Registered Massage Therapists) often get asked the question of how massage therapy can be beneficial for athletes. For those who train hard and demand a lot from their bodies, massage therapy should be included in your training cycle to optimize health and improve performance.
Here are a list of benefits of massage therapy for athletes:
- Reduces muscle soreness
- Improves joint mobility
- Reduces inflammatory response in muscles to help with recovery from injuries
- Enhances range of motion by breaking down scar tissue from micro tears
- Improves performance by providing trigger point relief to remove tight knots that may refer pain to other parts of your body
- Improves sleep which is essential to muscle recovery after hard training cycles
- Aids in the recovery of various sports injuries including tears, tendonitis, sprains, bursitis, strains, dislocations and fractures
- Increases circulation to your muscles for recovery by removal of lactic acid
- Boosts immunity by increasing your white blood cells
- It feels good!
If you are in the downtown Toronto area, please contact us to book an appointment with me.
Written By: Melissa Doldron – Registered Massage Therapist